Archived Comment Thread

Please visit the new AZIndex Website for all the latest on the AZIndex plugin.

I have preserved the old comment thread below in case some people are still linking here, or coming back to find answers to old questions.

For new questions, comments, and feedback about AZIndex, please use the new Feeback page.

• #1 written by Jeff of RN Jobs

Mike,

This is one great plugin. I love it. I think, at least for the kind of content intensive sites that I create, this is a top 10 plugin.

This is ideal for pulling together link bait (I hat the term) pages.

This plugin is a huge time saver, an SEO gold mine for making keyword intensive pages.

Thanks,

Jeff

• #2 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

Hey guys — thanks for all the comments over the past couple of weeks. I’ve been away on vacation (safari!!) but I am almost back home — just one more flight in a couple of hours…

Once I have slept off the jet lag I will go through the comments and suggestions and post some replies. Hopefully I will get through them within a couple of days.

• #3 written by Richard
    about 5 years ago

A further notion that you may need to consider is making an option for indexes rel=”nofollow”> or else there will be issues of duplicate content with Google etc. Wordpress already has problems with categories and tags regarding duplicate content. This plugin has an opportunity to close the loop on this one.

• #4 written by Sue

Hi Mike,

I am using your AZIndex plugin on a page as an index to articles. These are child pages under the articles parent page, which shows the links with the use of your plugin. My problem is that all my pages are showing in the list not just the child pages. I’m not sure I fully understand how to use the features of the plugin. There may be an existing way to exclude certain pages and only include the child pages. Could you direct me in how to make it work if there is? If not could it be added?

Love the plugin and it’s ease of use. Great for a novice blogger like myself.

• #5 written by ciara
    about 5 years ago

I LOVE this plugin! Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

I’m having one teensy problem, however.

I’m trying to get rid of the list style type, which is set to “square” for the content area of the page throughout my theme. I’ve tried editing the CSS inside the AZindex, I’ve tried overriding it in the theme’s main CSS…nothing gets rid of it. So i have a square bullet before the sections and each item.

Can you give me the magic wand to get rid of these easily, without having to remove the list style from the entire theme? Is this possible?

Thank you!

• #6 written by ciara
    about 5 years ago

With a little further investigation, I remembered about inheritance in CSS. The solution I came up with is simply removing the list-style-type: square. Couldn’t figure out any other way for it to “take.”

• #7 written by Sean
    about 5 years ago

Hi i was wondering how to list all the numbers under one heading like instead of having each number under separate heading like 1 2 3 4 instead how could i list them under one heading like under #

• #8 written by Ash
    about 5 years ago

Is there anyway i can drop in the A-Z Index (Links) into my template files?

For example
    I’d like to display sitewide an A-Z menu in the sidebar.

• #9 written by Henrik Sundholm
    about 5 years ago

Oh, and what about listing posts chronologically?

Mike: You certainly have a lot of ideas to consider for the next – well awaited – uppdate ;)

• #10 written by Dave
    about 5 years ago

It seems I can’t get children of a category to be included unless I specify every child-is that the case?

• #11 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

Dave, yes that would be the case. I must admit that I hadn’t really considered the issue of child categories — and I know for sure that the query I use to fetch the items included in the index just looks for the specified categories and doesn’t include any children.

I am still going through the backlog of questions and issues, but I will add this to the list. I think you’ve stumbled across something that I think should be fixed (otherwise having child categories doesn’t make much sense) and is probably not too difficult to fix. Please stay tuned, but for now, yes, you have to add all the child category names you want included.

• #12 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

Is there anyway i can drop in the A-Z Index (Links) into my template files? For example: I’d like to display sitewide an A-Z menu in the sidebar.

Hi Ash. Yes! It is possible to do what you want. I have just posted a new tutorial giving step-by-step instructions on how to add an index to your sidebar. Please give it a try and let me know how you get on.

• #13 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

ciara, yes, bullets on lists are a pain when it comes to indexes. I had the same trouble with one of the themes I was using. The problem is that there are several ways to specify the bullets you want on a list, so if they start appearing in your index, you have to search through the theme to see which CSS definition is causing the problem and then figure out a way to remove it from your index without losing it from the rest of the theme. Added to that, some themes use the tag “!important” (which I initially thought was just a comment!) to override the usual CSS inheritance so anything you do in the index’s CSS is ignored.

Anyway, I’m glad you figured out the problem. I will eventually have to bite the bullet and write some documentation on indexes and CSS, though I am not looking forward to it!

EM

• #14 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

Hmm, that’s an interesting one. I guess you could also do the same thing for items beginning with punctuation marks like ! and ?. What do others think?

• #15 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

I have just put up a new post that shows how you can create chronological indexes (with some limitations) using the current AZIndex plugin, with step-by-step instructions.

• #16 written by Cangia
    about 5 years ago

Can i visualized only the letter (A-B-C..-Z) and the latest 20 posts?
    With 1400 posts is too much to visualize :-)

• #17 written by Leila
    about 5 years ago

Hi Mike! Thank you for creating such a wonderful script. I really like it because it is simple but it also seem to have several functions that can be easily customized to make it more personal (like the book reviews). However, for some reason, the index does not show up for me in my blog. Instead, the code doesn’t seem to be “read” as when I see the published page, all it says is: [az-index id="1"]
    Do you perhaps have any ideas as to why this happens? I am fairly new to wordpress I must admit but I’ve looked around and cannot figure out why :(

• #18 written by Leila
    about 5 years ago

Hi again Mike. I just wanted to say that the problem has been fixed. It turned out to be the theme that I was using. I have no idea as to why but it worked well when I changed theme.

• #19 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

Hey Leila — I’m glad you figured it out. It’s certainly difficult to track down all the problems with interactions between plugins and themes. Out of interest, could you tell me the name of the theme that was causing the problem? It might help diagnose other users’ problems in the future.

• #20 written by English Mike

Cangia,

No, you can’t limit the contents of index in the ways you are asking. While I see what you are asking, I don’t really think that it’s very common way to do things with an indexing tool like AZIndex. Excluding items from the index based on the initial letter of the title seems to be a little random, and I really don’t see the merit of restricting an alphabetical index to the last 20 items.

The correct way to restrict items from showing up in the index is to use categories and tags. I am looking at adding an “exclude categories/tags” feature at the moment, which may help you do what you want.

You can restrict the number of items on a page to 20 items (just turn on the “Use Multiple Pages” option and set the item count per page to 20 (or 50 or whatever you think looks good). There are also plenty of other ways of displaying an index of the last 20 items posted on your blog — it’s quite a common thing to do — just search the WordPress forums and/or Google and you should find a page template that will do what you want.

Good luck!

EM

• #21 written by Elfenwald
    about 5 years ago

Hi and BIG thanks for this plugin which seems to be the only viable solution to set up kind of an “encyclopedia” in WordPress…

Just two questions/suggestions:

- same as posted before: some kind of exclusion mechanisms would be cool. E.g. AND/OR/NOT operators for tags and categories.

- is there any way to have sub-pages indexed? I indended to place all the dictionary articles as child-pages under the index page (makes it more easy to un-clutter the pages menu etc.). Tagged them, but they don’t show up in the index. Moved them up to the main level – works. Any idea what snippet of code must be modified so the plugin scans for tagged sub-pages as well?

Thanks & cheers!
    Martin

• #22 written by English Mike

Hey Martin,

The excluding tags/categories code is done, and will be in the next release of AZIndex very soon. I originally considered a more general AND, OR, NOT format but couldn’t get it to work at the time. I’ll add it to the list to take another look at some point, but I think once you have the exclude (NOT) option, the vast majority of queries people need are catered for.

As for subpages — I just did a quick test and subpages worked for me. They are tagged with the same post_type (“page”) in the database as regular pages so the SQL query used by the plugin should work whether or not they have a parent page. I even specified a tag in the index used on the subpage and that worked too. So I am not sure why your subpages are not showing up.

Depending on your level of technical knowledge — specifically if you know how to use phpMyAdmin on your blog’s database — there may be a couple of ways to help debug the problem you are having. If you go to line 284 (or thereabouts) in the plugin file az-index-cache.php, and uncomment the line:

//az_println("fn:get_index_items : query = ".$query."
    rc =
    ".$posts);

then you will see the full SQL query the plugin generates for your index. You can then copy the query (most of the text printed in yellow, but not all) and paste it into phpMyAdmin’s SQL query window (click on the little SQL icon below the phpMyAdmin title at the top-left of the main phpMyAdmin page to show it). Now, if you run that query, you should see that the results are the same whether or not your pages are subpages. If the subpages are not in the results list, then please check what those pages have in the “post_type” and “post_status” columns in the “wp_posts” table. If they don’t have “page” and “publish” then what do they have? If they do, then I really have no idea why they are not found by the query.

The other usual think to try is to disable any plugins which might be interfering with the way AZIndex works. I have no idea what they could be, but then there are thousands of plugins you could have running! If you can, disable them all and see what happens.

Let me know what you find.

Mike

• #23 written by Elfenwald

Hey Mike!

wow, you really invest time & effort in your plugs & support! thanks for that novel! ;-)

As it happens often in life – I changed “something” – and now the display of subpages works… actually I did not do much, de-activated some other plugins, reactivated them one by one, re-arranged the pages with pageMash – and everything is fine. No idea. And sorry for the hassle.

I can now even push around the pages at will with pageMash, hide them so they do not show up in the navigation, and they still get listed in the index….

so: another happy user here, one step closer to getting rid of that boooooring old wiki layout on my site, and looking forward to the next version of AZindex!
    Cheers
    Martin

• #24 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

Thanks Martin. Good to know you sorted the problem. Hope the new version helps with your indexing.

EM

• #25 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

If anyone is coming here to report SQL error on AZIndex 0.6 or 0.6.1, please try AZIndex 0.6.2 first. I just fixed a bug that is probably causing your problems.

Thanks

EM

• #26 written by c0d3r
    about 5 years ago

Fantastic Plugin :D Loved it ! Real helpfull for creating archives page :)

• #27 written by Paul
    about 5 years ago

Great plug-in. One minor request–the ability to remove “the” and “a” from the sort. We can remove quotes, but not words.

• #28 written by English Mike

Paul,

You can do what you want — it just takes a little more work. If you’re comfortable with modifying your blog theme’s files then this post explains how to add a filter to modify the headings before they are sorted and displayed. It will do exactly what you need.

I am looking into making a couple of minor changes to the plugin to allow users to create an “az_index_user.php” file inside the AZIndex plugin directory, so that you can add filter functions or your own sort comparison functions there instead so you don’t have to modify your theme code if you’re not comfortable doing that.

• #29 written by English Mike
    about 5 years ago

Well, that didn’t work—adding a user file to the plugin directory actually is okay, but it gets wiped out when you upgrade AZIndex, so that’s no good.

However, there is a nice solution — put the filter code in a new plugin! Just add the code to a file that will be recognized as a plugin by WordPress and you can add your own extensions to AZIndex without worrying about them being overwritten next time you upgrade AZIndex or your theme. Even nicer, if WordPress detects a problem with the code, it will disable the plugin, so if you make a mistake, it should not harm your blog’s operation. And finally, you can enable and disable the plugin whenever you like.

I will be posting a new article (along with the new AZIndex User Extensions plugin (containing the filter code) shortly.

• #30 written by Anonymous
    about 5 years ago

Can this be used to generate alphabetical indexes for a list of a blogs authors, with each letter having its own page?

Here is the list I mean (just me at the moment, still tweaking theme), which could get pretty long: http://www.abletonartists.com/artists/

• #31 written by MagOne
    about 5 years ago

Thanks for a nice plugin- Just what I needed.
    One question though? I´m wondering if it`s possible to make it support characters like æ ø å, which would be very usefull for us Scandinavians?

• #32 written by Fiona
    about 5 years ago

This is absolute genius. Really, it’s exactly what I needed for review sites with multiple contributors. Thank you, thank you!

• #33 written by Sherryness

Hello,

This is a great plug-in. I am trying to install it on a client’s WordPress site to index book titles. I’m doing this by setting a custom field for author in the index heading, because they don’t want a sub-heading or description – just the author’s name with a link back to the post.

That part is working great except that sometimes they review more than one book per post. How can I have multiple “heading” fields so that they can enter two or three author’s name in the custom fields of just one post?

I hope my question makes sense. Thank you for any help!

-Sherry

• #34 written by anthony
    about 5 years ago

this may be a silly question that i can figure out myself but i am not tons familiar with CSS and i don’t see a way to do it. i review root beers and the like on my site. i am trying to use this plug in to have a page of all of the reviews, with the brand as the heading and each soda made by that brand as the subhead, so there can be a few items under one brand, each a link to the review of it. i would like to have a list item type circle or square or whatever before each subhead entry. i can get them to display for the headings but no lower. i know the subhead items are not a list but i’d like to distinguish them somehow. even the zebra stripping would work. they just blend together too much now.
    thanks so much, great otherwise!

• #35 written by LightBred
    about 5 years ago

Hello, I am trying to get rid of the large space between the top of the list and the rest of the content above the list, also remove the large space at the very bottom between the content the index list. How is this possible and where do I need to edit at?

I also need to bring descriptions in even with the title of the post instead of the offset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this plugin is a life saver!

Thanks!

• #36 written by Sami

Hi English Mike,
    I’m still getting this error :

AZINDEX ERROR: Invalid az-index short-code found. A non-zero id parameter must be specified.
    Please notify blog/site administration of the problem.
    (Message from the AZIndex plugin)

Over my site : http://www.lamedecinedouce.com/remedes

I’m using child categories and I checked the “include child categories”.

What could be the problem ?

Thanks,

• #37 written by Danny

Mike,

Thanks for implementing the zebra stripe request. Its great to see the continued development on this super plugin. Your efforts are really appreciated. Cheers. Danny

• #38 written by Barbara
    about 5 years ago

I’m having the same problem as Sami with the error message:

Please notify blog/site administration of the problem.
    (Message from the AZIndex plugin)

You can see it at http://www.appcraver.com/app-index.

Im using WP 2.6.2, MSQL 5 and PHP 4.9. Everything was working fine until the last update.

• #39 written by Coupon shipping

Hi Mike,

Wonderful plugin! Exactly what I was looking for! Easy to manage too!

Nice work!!!
    Thank you for sharing!

Pascale

• #40 written by GREG
    about 5 years ago

Phew – I thought it was just me getting the following

Please notify blog/site administration of the problem.
    (Message from the AZIndex plugin)

Help please!

• #41 written by GREG
    about 5 years ago

Ok , have worked out what the prob was.

After you have created your index etc and then goto Manage Pages and select the page the index is in, the short code given e.g [az-index id="1"] is incorect. Just remove the 2 speech marks either side of the id number, save then all will be well with your new index page.

Cheers

• #42 written by E.Y. Karaduman

Hi Mike,

Excellent plugin!
    But Turkish characters are not shown properly in alphabetical headings list for me.
    Is it possible to fix this problem?

Thanks.

• #43 written by Patrick

Mike,

I have the same problem as Jon – only [az-index] displaying in my page?

Using Wordpress 2.6.3

No erros on install of plugin.

Thanks,

Patrick

• #44 written by Mike

Hi,
    Great plugin. I installed it and all is well. However I need a bit more flexibility as I am including index in a wordpress footer. The description above states “Control over the number of index items per page” however I don’t see a method of doing this other than limiting categories etc.
    What I feel I need as 4 columns simply aren’t enough is a method to have more columns, or a way to create index a with alphabet a-l etc and index b with alphebet l-z thereby ending up with 8 columns, or more.

Is there any way of accomplishing this ?

• #45 written by GREG
    about 5 years ago

Just upgraded to WP 2.7 beta 2, now az index not working :( .
    Installs ok, no error messages but when you click on Add New nothing happens.
    I may have to down grade WP back to 2.6

• #46 written by Anna
    about 5 years ago

Hello I like your plugin! Thank you for it. I installed plugin to website in russian. http://sexifood.ru/culinary-alphabet/products-alphabet/ Post are showing alphabetical but how can i change English alphabet to Russian?
    Thank you.

• #47 written by miki
    about 5 years ago

Thanks for one of the best wordpress plugins ever!
    Unfortunatelly it doesn’t seem to work with wordpress 2.7 beta3 :(
    Do you plan any upgrade soon?

• #48 written by The Evangelist

Hi,

I would like to hava a checkbox o the possibility to choose sort ASC or DESC, sometimes, some TAGS/CATEGORIES i need sort DESC and others ASC, this would be possible in a next release??

I know this can be done with custom sort function but i think it is very complicated to only change the order of the sorting.

Thanks.

• #49 written by Sarangan

Sir,
    This plugin is not compatible with wordpress 2.7 Beta 3
    We are looking forward to see an upgrade. Thank you.

• #50 written by Lionel Chollet
    about 5 years ago

Well, guys, Mike’s last post on this blog was on September 17th; seems like he’s some interests or issues to deal with other than the AZIndex plugin. That’s life, everybody here must know that bitch. Please don’t blame him. Give him some time to get back on tracks with this plugin, and meanwhile, just don’t use beta software on critical sites!

(Or donate, like I once did, to keep him motivated.) :-)

Comments are closed.